Sunday, February 19, 2012

New Appointments and Elections

For the past three years I've served on the American Bar Association's (ABA) Criminal Justice Leadership Council (CJS) , a group of about 30 lawyers of whom about 10 are prosecutors. That term expired has just expired and I've been notified that I was nominated and elected to a second three-year term, this time as Vice Chair-at-Large to the group. 

I'm serving my fifth year on the governing Executive Committee of the National District Attorneys Association and have recently been designated to once again serve as the Oregon State delegate to the NDAA's Board of Directors. I am a former Vice-President of NDAA which gives me an automatic spot on the Board, but as the official Oregon delegate I can bring the perspective of smaller offices like Clatsop County to national issues. 

NDAA's Board and State Delegates traditionally meet in Washington, DC in late January or early February. This is when I take the opportunity to meet with Oregon's Congressional delegation -- this year I was able to meet with all seven. The trip coincided with the elegant, formal swearing in of our newly elected 1st District Congresswoman, Suzanne Bonamici. The picture below was taken outside her office just prior to her swearing in. Suzanne's staff graciously arranged for me to watch from the proceedings from the Speaker's Gallery. The entire House was on the floor, along with Senators Wyden and Merkley. It was quite impressive.

I also continue to serve as the United States delegate to the International Association of Prosecutors

It's a great honor to represent the North Coast and Oregon in both national and international organizations. I'm particularly pleased to be part ABA leadership since prosecutors historically have had little contact with the largest national lawyers group in America. I want to thank Brooklyn DA Joe Hynes for inviting me to join and nominating me to the ABA leadership.

As always, none of my out-of-state travel is paid for by Clatsop County taxpayers.


No comments:

Post a Comment